Quickly becoming the place of choice in Washington County.
Bethany is a Portland metro community that sits just north of highway 26 on the edges of Beaverton, Helvetia, and Portland. It’s about 25 minutes west from downtown Portland. Bethany is a family friendly community and a great location for anyone from retirees to new families.
Bethany schools are part of the Beaverton school district and rank among some of the highest in all of Oregon. There are seven local elementary schools, two middle schools and three high schools all that serve part of this community.
The area has some 15 parks, several walking trails that span most of the community, and a local outdoor pool. Rock Creek golf course and Claremont golf course together provide 27 holes of additional scenery.
Portland Community College (Rock Creek) is a 260-acre campus that provides a beautiful setting for both college transfer and career-technical programs. The whole origination of PCC is the largest institution of higher learning in the state and as one of the ten campuses, PCC Rock Creek alone annually serves nearly 21,000 students.
Bethany mostly is a single-family home community but also has some condos and apartments. The median home cost is $550,000 with some starting around $300,000 for smaller homes and easily growing over $700,000. The more luxury homes in the area have been valued over $2.5 Million.
It wasn’t long ago that the Bethany area was nothing more than cow pastures and farms. The last 30 years have taken it from a pass-through town to one of Oregon’s places to live.
Bethany Fun Facts:
- The 2010 census estimated the community at 26,646 residence. So technically the Rock Creek campus has more students than local residents.
- In the last 30 years, the median home cost has gone from $130,000 to over $550,000.
- The Bethany Baptist Church chapel was one of Bethany’s first buildings. 137 years old and still standing.
- Up until World War I, the primary language taught in the Bethany schools was German.
- The first major roadway in the Bethany area was Springville Road.
- Bethany ranks in the 92nd percentile of livability in the U.S.
- Average summer high temperature is 79 degrees.